Tuesday, July 24, 2012

One Ginormous Hutch


I recently had a small problem at an auction. 

My bidding hand seemed to develop a mind of its own. 

It went completely out of control and it purchased this.....

That wasn't the end of the problems....

Loading it into the truck was like a Festivus "Feats of Strength" contest!
Once my extremely understanding hubby and I got it home
and unloaded and "assembled"...
I realized this puppy was GINORMOUS!
It's 7'-8" TALL and 6'-0" long. 

This hutch is definitely a statement piece.

So I posted it on my "Homeless Furniture', page
and waited. 

I was hoping someone out there had the perfect spot for it. 
Because I sure didn't!!

And honestly, the garage/workshop is just not doing it much justice!!
Last week my mom arrived from Florida,
and we decided the farm fresh Ginormous Hutch was ready for a makeover.
I started by painting edges on the hutch black.

In retrospect, I wish I would have painted more black.
(I ended up just layering a little more black on later in the project.)
Then I went out on a painting limb (for me).
I jumped on the DIY plaster of paris (chalk paint) bandwagon.
(link to the "recipe" I tried)
I admit, this is the first time I have used chalk paint of any kind.
Curiousity was killin me!!

The first coat had me and my mom a littttle nervous.

It was SO thin!
I liked that it was letting the black show thru.
But at the same time I didn't.
The "chalky" finish also had me a little perplexed.

But once you start painting you just have to go with it....

So instead of reachiong for the paint stripper,
I hung in there and put another coat on.


Second coat was a major improvement.

Then I added a little glaze over the top


And I distressed it just a bit

And then decided to add some more black!


Ahhhhh much better!!!

I finished it with some wipe on poly.

That really deepened the color and got rid of the chalky finish.

I know most of y'all use wax on your chalk paint.....

I didn't have any - so poly it was!


I scored some cool knobs half off at Hobby Lobby to finish it off!


Then waited for my ever patient and understanding hubby to come home.

SO we could assemble that thing!!


Even outside it looked GINORMOUS!!!


The amount of stuff you can put in and on this thing is CRAZY!

And boy did I have fun filling it!


It took many, many trips inside raiding the house to find the right collection.

I threw in yellow dishes.

And yellow and purple faux greenery.

I love purple & red together!

And I love yellow & red together!

So to me, this totally worked!



I love that there's actually enough room to serve along the front ledge.


I was dying to fill the drawers with something, but I restrained myself.


I love the way the "legs" turned out.


And all the worn edges!


And how my "stuff" looks on it!!


Just to demonstrate scale,
 I actually let my hubby take a picture...
with me in it.

See, I'm really not exaggerating GINORMOUS!!!
I'm 5'-8" peeps!!


All in all, I'm thrilled with the DIY plaster of paris AKA chalk paint.

And I've made 2 more batches since then!



Linking Up Here!


Featured Here:




46 comments:

  1. Dang! That thing IS huge! So, I need spindle painting tips STAT! Stupid changing table will be the death of me! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!! Normally I would never willingly let J snap my pic by it.... BUT I didn't think you could tell just how HUGE it was without someone by it!!

      The best way to paint spindles is to spray them.... use spray paint (krylon has tons of good colors) or a spray gun. I have one you could borrow ;)! OR just use foam brushes and rollers and yes it will take forever........

      Delete
  2. Wow, this turned out fabulous! I love the color. Your newest follower from Tip Me Tuesday. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and following, Kathy! I love love love the color too! It's funny, it's almost the color of my living room couches!! lol! Glad you made it over from Tip Junkie!

      Delete
  3. wow! that was a beast to paint but it looks amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cassie!! It seriously took every bit of arm strength I had to help my hubby put the top on the bottom! I was terrified I was going to drop it every time we "assembled" it!

      Delete
  4. (I can't reply to your reply for some reason so here it is)

    First, you look awesome so you should make J take your picture daily! :)

    Second, we had already bought the paint so spraying it out of the question. I got it primed the other night...took five hours! I'll get it done eventually, I just didn't know if there were any magic tricks I didn't know about! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (reply issues are probably because I can be quite blog-stupid!!)

      well - I normally use a foam brush all in the little grooves of legs and then Roll the excess paint with a foam roller to smooth it all out.... spindles like on your changing table are def a challenge!!! can't wait to see how it turns out!! AND what COLOR you picked!!

      Delete
  5. Where are you located, and is this still avail? if so could you can email me the price..... would be perfect in my new addition! shantrarogers@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I Have hutch envy now!!! lol I too have a wicked gi-normous hutch and Im dying to paint it a chalky white! Wish me luck! Im so in love with your color choice! Wish I lived closer!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deidre! I'm having a small crush (OK giant crush) with the color too!! I'm trying to figure out how many pieces of furniture I have to move OUT in order to move that puppy IN my house!!

      Good luck painting your hutch.... I suggest waiting til fall or go to an air conditioned space. My garage was just crazy HOT!

      Glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  7. Your ginormous hutch is absolutely gorgeous! You have finished it to perfection. Stopping by from Wow Us Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Pam! Its a giant relief to have it finished and looking so awesome!!!
      Now I just have to figure out what to DO with it! ;)

      Delete
  8. Hi Meg! Your ginormous hutch looks great! I made some chalk paint with what I had on hand which was acrylic paint and powdered wall texture...it looks like plaster of paris (which I had also heard of people using to make their own chalk paint) so I decided to give it a try and it worked quite well. Kind of like you using wipe on poly 'cause it's what you had already. I loved the "festivus" reference also. It is amazing how many times I hear a Seinfeld reference still used in everyday life. I saw your post over at Savvy Southern Style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miss Kitty (love the name BTW)!! Love that there's someone else in the world who wings it! And gets Seinfeld references!!! Thanks so much for stopping by! O and your screen turned out GREAT!

      Delete
  9. Great restyle :) I love the color and technique used!

    ReplyDelete
  10. FABULOUS! What an amazing piece! Beautiful choice in color and accents too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa! It really is cool! Thanks for stopping by!!

      Delete
  11. Love the red! You did a great job, I know how much work those things can be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy the size of this one really did make it difficult! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  12. Oh wow you did an awesome transformation of this piece! and wow it is huge! but it's very beautiful! I need to find one like this! Please come hang out and link up to our link party "Home is Where the Heart is" Please feel free to link up any posts you might want to share! :)
    http://www.homesteadsimple.com/home-is-where-the-heart-is-link-it-up-wednesdays-3/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi I left a comment on your homeless page not sure if you got it. If not I am very interested buying this piece if it is still for sale. Could you let me know the price and the possibility of getting it to Houston? Thanks so much, Lisa. Dlt9123@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would have been all over that in a heartbeat!! Yeah, my hubby would have fought hard to be understanding, but he would have gone with it (complaining all the way - for sure). It would be fabulous in my dining room though. You did a fine job with painting it & I love the color as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this piece. I would love to have a huge piece like this. Thanks for sharing at Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too!!! Just wish it was a tad bid smaller so I could squeeze it in my house somewhere!!

      Delete
  16. I'm dying to know! DID YOU DECIDE TO KEEP IT???? Oh I hope so. You may regret selling it. Gorge!
    xoxo,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid I'm not going to keep it... not a single spot for it in my house!

      Delete
  17. You did it! It's truly AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth! I am really really really happy with how it turned out! And how EASY and CHEAP it is to make your own chalk paint! ;)

      Delete
  18. Great job! It is huge! Thanks for standing next to it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally broke allll my "don't take my picture" rules! Thanks for stopping by Nancy!

      Delete
  19. love the hutch!!! but, i am so wan ting to know about the crate on the bottom.. does it say it was manufactured/made in pleasant city, ohio? i live in that area of ohio.. and my grandfather worked there as a delivery person..... i have looked for the last 20 years for one....... its a sentimental memory to me i would love to see a up close pic of it., thanks a bunch!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually - it's from my hometown of Moberly, MO. My grandpa literally just dug it out of a ladies junk pile a week before I took this pic. I'm having a summer romance with it... I plan on trying to sneak it in as many of my pics as I can! ;) SO It's not from Iowa but if you want I can send you a close up, just let me know!

      Delete
  20. Beautiful hutch. I am hosting a Giveaway to win a 50 dollar gift card to the store HomeGoods. It would be great if you stopped by and entered. Thanks Anu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anu for the invite & for stopping by!

      Delete
  21. Absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!! You did a fantastic job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This Hutch makeover turned out awesome. I am glad you did not give up. The two coats of paint did the trick. Simply lovely. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOVE IT!!! And it definitely is GINORMOUS! It looked big, but then seeing you standing next to it... woah! Ha! Someone will be very lucky to score this piece!

    ReplyDelete
  24. i am in love with this piece! red is the look i am going for in my dining/kitchen/living rm! thank you for showing us!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fantastic! I found a huge hutch on craig's list I wanted so bad, but chickened out! After seeing how gorgeous you made this one, I'm wishing I had bought it - guess I'll have to keep my eyes open (& clear out some space) ! I love the distressing with the black. I have a mirror I have painted blue and want to wipe black over it, and this piece is my guide. Thanks for sharing! Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just love this piece and you are right it is huge!! Love the DIY chalk paint. I don't intend on ever buying $36.95 a quart caulk paint again. Just finished a 1926 china cabinet that I did in red, and you inspired me to add the black Love it Thanks Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  27. Can you tell me the color and brand of the red paint?

    ReplyDelete
  28. That's a beautiful piece. I love it and you did a great job! I started chalk painting this winter. I use Calcium Carbonate powder. It's food grade, non-toxic and odorless. I purchased a supply from Amazon.com. I mixed about 1/2 cup of the Calcium Carbonate to 1 cup of latex paint, although some use less per cup, your choice. A little water may be added to thin it, if needed. My chemist friends tell me that chalk is made with Calcium Carbonate.

    ReplyDelete

Go Ahead and Snoop Around a Bit... Start here maybe?