Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Preston's Woodsy Nursery



So I must have taken a little beginning of summer siesta….. and woke up at the END of summer!!  Sorry.  I promise I have been busy.  I took a break from furniture painting (my garage was about 140 degrees) and spent the summer with the kiddos at the pool. I’m now very tan and trying to get back into the swing of everything and hoping to start showing off some of the stuff I did over the summer very soon. 

I'll start with my most recent project, by recent I mean I completed it 2 days ago.  The Woodsy Nursery Furniture for my soon-to-be-born, newest nephew Preston…. He’s due to arrive around the first of November. And his parents have picked out the cutest woodsy, owl themed bedding.

image via skip hop

Now, I was planning on doing just this plain old white changing table.


But sitting in the garage I also had this plain old white matching 4 drawer chest....



My parents were visiting and planning on hauling the changing table to my brother in 5 days. They had plenty of room in their giant RV for the chest too. That meant Preston needed two pieces of furniture and so began my 5 day painting marathon.

After filling holes, doing minor repairs and lightly sanding everything down. I painted both pieces a really nice, neutral, stone color that matched the bedding.


Then I sketched some tall trees that wrapped around and over all the nooks and crannies of the furniture. (you'll have to look very closely... pencil didn't show up very well!)


And painted the trees a soft oatmeal color.
After the trees were complete I added leaves. LOTS of leaves. In 4 colors and 2 patterns just to make it more challenging because my FIVE DAY deadline for completion wasn’t nearly overwhelming enough.

Of course, no tree is complete without some sort of flying bird, right? My trees were no different. I perched an Owl on each tree. One on the side of the changing table and the other on the front of the chest so little Preston didn’t grow up feeling like he was being stared at constantly by Owls!


After 4 days and 20+ hours of painting all that woodsy-goodness I did something that almost caused my Mother instant heart failure. I pulled out my trusty fine tipped sharpie and added a little visual interest. Think of it as contrast stitching…. I outlined leaves and owls and trees.


Then to make it just a little more heart wrenching for my mom, I added a little stippling. My Mom thought the heat must have gone to my head, and people it was getting HOT in the garage. After several comments about “adding work for yourself” I think she got it! Which was good, because once I started it’s not like I could really go back. :)

On the evening of the fourth day, my Mom made dinner and I glazed furniture.


I woke in a panic on the fifth day hoping the glaze had dried enough for the finish coats and hardware. Because my parents were scheduled to load it up and haul the freshly painted furniture to my brother in Minneapolis that very day!!!! Seriously THAT very same afternoon.

  



Somehow I finished. The finish coats dried. The insanely cute, perfectly rustic, twiggy hardware was on. The pictures were taken. And the giant RV was loaded. I informed my dad that once it left my zip code it was no longer under warranty… so drive carefully!! And raced to get my new kindergartener from school all the while wondering how long it would be before I got to see the woodsy furniture again…. and wondering what in the world Preston's parents were going to think of the furniture they knew nothing about!


 How cute are they sitting together?!?!




After 32 hours of painting in 5 days I’m now totally exhausted. But it was totally worth it!!

76 comments:

  1. These are so adorable! I love all the colors you used they are very whimisical.
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. HUGE smiles from me! Really Lovely!!!! Those owls are a "hoot", btw [owl pun nessisary}

    Visting from MMS Linky Party today,
    ~Suzanne in NW Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful! 32 hours...wow! Kudos to you. I agree, absolutely worth it.
    I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are fantastic! (Big surprise ;) You are so talented, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, so good! I love your creativity!! And painting skills. Your brother and baby Preston are going to LOVE them! What a great surprise!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh - THOSE ARE FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!

    ;-D robelyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - you're very talented. They look great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is fabulous, you did a really great job on this! I love how it turned out. It would actually match my daughters nursery, that's probably why I love it so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did such an awesome job on these! I absolutely adore them! I featured them today!! Feel free to stop by and grab a featured button!

    http://craptastickatie.blogspot.com/2011/08/five-feature-friday-6.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, these are awesome!! I never have enough patience to paint furniture the "right" way.
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That dress it absolutely beautiful! I LOVE! Great job!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a treasure you have created for your nephew!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lucky Lad! Those are ADORABLE! Deb

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh, they turned out so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. SOOO cute! You did an amazing job!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow!!! Amazing job!! Those are the funnest nursery pieces I have seen--your nephew will be lucky to have them! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW! This is beyond cute! You did a great job. Thanks for linking up to tickled pink...I have shared this on FB!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is hands down the most adorable nursery set EVER!! I am so excited for you to finally see them in the finished room!! Awesome! Janel

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are adorable!! Wow! I am truly impressed!
    I would love it if you shared this at {nifty thrifty sunday}!
    Hope to see you there!
    xoxo,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  20. these are sooo fabulous. love the color. this may be the inspiration for my next piece!! please stop by our link party going on now.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! These are SO darling! Good work : )
    Jaimee @ craft-interrupted.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. hi, stopping by from flamingo toes to say I LOVE THIS and you are so talented! xo Malia

    www.yesterdayontuesday.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! this is awesome! Definitely a labor of love. Stopping by Via Nifty Thrifty things.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is so incredibly beautiful! Your hard work has paid off. Love this so much.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those are amazing! They match perfect! I wish I had a SIL like you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love what you've done! So adorable... makes me wanna have another baby so I can decorate a cute baby room with an owl theme... then again... :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I SOOOOO love this, I can't believe it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am stunned. You are an amazing painter. Those have got to be the cutest dressers I have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm in love! These pieces are amazing and I featured you today-come grab a button!
    Kim
    www.kim-toomuchtimeonmyhands.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Seriously, this is the most inspiring project I've seen in a really long time, and I've truly seen some amazing things lately. WTG!!! They turned out SO BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love this, it turned out great!

    Coley @
    www.whatyoumakeit-coley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Gorgeous - I love the darker main color with the white tree and bright leaves - genius

    ReplyDelete
  33. BEAUTIFUL! I'm jealous of your nephew. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Found you on the DIY Showoff.
    This is so cute.

    My daughters have one piece in their room that just doesn't go with the other shabby chic furniture... you have inspired me to do something like this. However, I will rely on a stencil! :)

    I just love how sweet this looks!

    Well Done!
    ~ Meredith from A Mother Seeking

    http://www.amotherseeking.com
    This week: http://www.amotherseeking.com/2011/08/crafty-due-to-weather-conditions.html

    ReplyDelete
  35. These dressers are so adorable! What an amazing transformation - you can absolutely tell you worked so hard on them! LOVE!
    Jo-Anna

    ReplyDelete
  36. Gorgeous!! Would LOVE it if you would link this up to my turquoise lovin' party going on right now!! ;) http://www.sweetlittlegals.com/

    ReplyDelete
  37. they really are picture perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  38. You are officially the best aunt EVER! That is just so cute. The colors are fabulous! If you get a chance I would love it if you could share this at my link party, The Creative Spark, tomorrow night. Amazing job!!
    Jenn :)
    www.cleanandscentsible.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. Those are adorable!!! You are so talented and creative!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow! These are adorable and whimsical, I love them! I wish I had the freehand talent that you do..

    ReplyDelete
  41. A+!!!! What a fabulous set you created! You have probably started a new line... we will all be taking something away from you great idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Those are absolutely adorable and amazing. You put any and all furniture painting I've done to complete shame. You have some serious "go get 'em" and your nephew is the luckiest kid EVER!
    Found you through Better After.

    ReplyDelete
  43. love your creativity!!! woooooooow!!! greetings, angie (germany)

    ReplyDelete
  44. that is adorable! the colors and design are soooo fun! wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  45. those are beautiful! time well spent. :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Those are the cutest things ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Simply adorable...you matched the bedding perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Abso;utely wonderful...I cannot imagine how happy the owners were to receive this furniture.. Visiting from Better After... Hope you have gotten some rest!

    ReplyDelete
  49. What an amazing gift for your brother and nephew. It's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  50. I looooove these! I'm actually going to have a new little cousin Preston near the beginning of November. :)

    ReplyDelete
  51. How absolutely wonderful!! I LOVE these! BTW my cousin's son is name Preston!!

    ReplyDelete
  52. THESE ARE AMAZING!!! Absolutely adorable and perfect in the nursery!
    I would LOVE to have you link up with Creative Me Monday, it's open M-Sat. Here's the link:

    http://www.thesoutherninstitute.com/2011/08/creative-me-monday_28.html?utm_source=BP_recent

    Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  53. I am so impressed! Absolutely wonderful job on these pieces! I'm sure your nephew and his parents are going to love these!

    ReplyDelete
  54. These are so crazy cool! I love them - the painting is just darling! Thanks so much for linking them up to Think Pink Sundays - I featured you today! http://www.flamingotoes.com/2011/09/crush-of-the-week-think-pink-features-21/

    ReplyDelete
  55. Amei sua criatividade e trabalho, lindo demais.
    Parabéns!!!
    Bjs
    LelÊ

    ReplyDelete
  56. Love it! saw this from Tip Junkie's tweet. I'd love to showcase this on my blog and would love to have you join Tuesday's Nursery blog party! You can email me directly PlayfulDecor (at) gmail (dot) com. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  57. I just wanted to let you know that I will feature these beauties at tomorrow's {nifty thrifty sunday}!
    Stop by and grab a button if you get a chance. :)
    xoxo,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  58. You did such a great job! Very inspiring as I've been going that direction with my sons nursery! I would love it if you come link this up at Scrappy Saturdays @ candacecreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  59. Ok - waaayyy too cute! You've done a lovely job, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  60. they look so fabulous! so much work involved though, it always so pleasing to stand back and admire the finished article (albeit briefly!). Really inspiring, thankyou! x just found you through nifty thrifty things blog!

    ReplyDelete
  61. I love it! I may have to try this on the desk in my grandkids bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  62. Beautiful! What an amazing treat for your nephew. You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  63. Absolutely lovely...What an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  64. I paint furniture myself, but I haven't done a design on any pieces yet. Love this. In fact, your project makes me want to find a nursery to decorate! I featured you in my "Get Me Motivated Monday" post this week.

    http://www.imbusyprocrastinating.com/2011/09/get-me-motivated-monday.html

    ReplyDelete
  65. OMG this is adorable! I love it! And so inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

    Vanina
    mother crafter ~ handcrafted happiness

    ReplyDelete
  66. do you mind sharing what color you used for the base? i know you referred to it as a "stone" color but if you have the brand/color, that'd be awesome! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  67. Amazing! I chose the same bedding for my soon-to-son's nursery and stumbled on your site while browsing the interweb for ideas for painting his changing table to coordinate. Now, if only I can find the courage to try my hand at something similar! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  68. man o' livah, these are rockin' my sockaroos off! and no stencil, to boot!! impressive....very impressive.

    i see that you knocked your own socks off, too and couldn't post again for quite some time. life just gets in the way sometimes, doesn't it?

    love reading your sidebar story...we've traveled a crazy path, as well, and feel blessed to be happy together as a family. (phew!)

    looking forward to your next piece!

    ReplyDelete
  69. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  70. Oh my, I love what you did for Preston’s Nursery with the chest and changing table. My son will be having a baby this Aug, 2012. If and when we find out what *(he/she) style of room, I may use your beautiful idea to refurbish some furniture for the room. I found you via * http://blog.diggerslist.com/category/before-after/ today looking for some inspiration and found it with your precious Woodsy Nursery Furniture. Thanks for sharing.
    Julie
    http://julebeecreativelybusy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  71. Hi Meg... Would love to feature this post on iVillage. Can you contact me at bethpc123@gmail.com? Thanks! ~Beth :-)

    ReplyDelete

Go Ahead and Snoop Around a Bit... Start here maybe?