Tuesday, November 17, 2009

It WAS the great pumpkin... its now my soup!


Its cold, its rainy, and its a completely ridiculous idea to go anywhere besides the kitchen in this kind of weather, so it is definitely a good day for testing out ideas!

I have a theory lately that I can heat the entire house just by using my oven. Today I decided to prove the theory! So at 9 am on a Tuesday, after consulting the bff, I start roasting pumpkins. No fall decoration pumpkin was safe, unless that is, it was made of foam or clay! No, I don't have something against pumpkins - I actually LOVE them. But I also think I'm ready for the next big holiday decorating, so knocking them off one by one seemed like a tasty plan.

After chopping and scraping 2 of those babies and filling 3 baking dishes I reconsidered exactly how much roasted pumpkin was NECESSARY in my freezer and took a break. Only to crank the oven back up and roast some chicken breasts just to conserve electricity (it was already preheated, you know). But chicken is not the point of this story!

Pumpkin, roasted pumpkin and the soup that was created is actually the point!

So anyone who knows me probably also knows that I read too much and probably too quickly. It may sound sad but I even read recipe books and blogs, only 20 or so daily. In between I watch the food network whenever I can sit still. So somewhere in my head I had this thought of a Pumpkin Curry Soup recipe existed... I searched EVERYWHERE thru all my piles of printed recipes, books on the shelves, blogs, you name it, I was there.

OK, I may have exaggerated, I only looked for like 5 minutes before I realized the problem. My blog hero's recipe was actually for Squash and Carrot soup with Curry.... OOPS! What now?? What to do when your OCD brain is set on one thing - PUMPKIN! Pumpkin Soup. Pumpkin Soup with Curry. Well I decided it was time to make pumpkin soup! Isn't a pumpkin technically a squash? I might add the results were freaking good.

Yes, yes, I will share the recipe. Please be amused at my first attempt at a blog in general... I was so excited I decided today was as good as any to start one!

Roasted Pumpkin Soup with Curry

1 onion diced
2 stalks celery diced
1 tbl minced garlic
3 tbl unsalted butter
2 tbl olive oil
4 cups roasted pumpkin
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup cauliflower florets, small pieces
Curry powder
Salt & pepper

Sauté onions, celery, and garlic in butter and olive oil until translucent and add salt and good amount of pepper. Add pumpkin and heat thru, don’t boil, it can and will burn. Add chicken broth and cauliflower and cook until cauliflower is tender. Puree with immersion blender. Add curry powder to taste.

Garnish with chives and sour cream.



Side note - the cauliflower was added only because I needed to use it. I thought to myself, why not, its not like your paying attention to any recipe anyway! And it did end up adding a nice texture and flavor. This recipe has not yet been "tweaked". But you can bet that it will be! I have enough pumpkin ready to go from this mornings efforts to make about 4 more versions! Typically I don't write any recipe that comes out of my head down nor do I try to guesstimate what amounts of ingredients I just used.... I'm trying something new today, besides a pumpkin soup!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I'm so excited that you (finally) started a blog! Great post! Can't wait to read more! I'd really like to try this soup... Sounds quirky, but I know if you made it, it has to be good!

    -Dawn

    ReplyDelete

Go Ahead and Snoop Around a Bit... Start here maybe?